This is America, you can say whatever you want!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

This afternoon as I was tending to my writers cramp from filling our school registration forms, I heard one of the sweetest things I have heard in a while. Another mother was busily doing the same as I and tending to her toddler (without much luck) and I overheard her 1st grade son ask:
"Mommy why can't I talk about Jesus here?" Before his mother could answer, I did the "awwwwwww, you're so sweet, of course you can talk about Jesus, you talk about Jesus all you want." He seemed o.k. with my answer even though I was a stranger and went on playing with his paper. His mother looked at me and we started the conversation about private Christian pre-school and what-not. I then explained to her that I was a teacher in the Texas Public School system and gave her my secret to witnessing (without witnessing) to the children. Every morning during the mandated "minute of silence," I tell the children this is a time for them to be still, quiet and be thinking. I say: "Now, I'm going to pray, because I pray to Jesus and this is what I do, you can do what you want, but I'm going to pray." Within a few months, I've got kindergartens all bowing their heads, folding their hands and praying. HeeHee I've instilled some faith in them and I didn't FORCE it! The mother was rather pleased. Hey I can't help it if little kids love to copy their teachers...........I didn't make 'em that way, God did!!

3 comments:

Paul Nichols said...

Hi. Stop by my blog and cast a vote. Check the post "Department of Decisions." Thanks.

Monique said...

I think this is a great way to witness without witnessing... just leading by example. Good job and I sure wish there were more public school teachers like you!

Monique said...

Also meant to say that I TOTALLY relate to the writer's cramp.

And my daughter had her own little opportunity to witness in her public school class last year (3rd grade at the time)... for some story they had read, the teacher asked what 3 items they would take with them if stranded in the desert. The first thing she said was her bible. I was so proud of her when I heard that!